[Mimedefang] Latest Worms and IE Exploits

Kelson Vibber kelson at speed.net
Fri Sep 19 13:12:00 EDT 2003

At 09:45 AM 9/19/2003, Sevo Stille wrote:
>Indeed. Only users that post to the Usenet seem to be affected, though -
>the worm is quite new in gathering its addresses from news servers. We
>currently see about 10-40/hr for each of our Usenet users. Which is pretty
>amazing, given that I'd have considered Usenet users more computer savy
>than the average.

It's definitely pulling addresses from web caches too.  6 of the 10 copies
I received before setting MD to discard the messages instead of the
attachments were sent to a webmaster address that I've never put anywhere
except footers on my website.  The remaining four were sent to this one,
and could have picked it up anywhere from address books to mailing list
archives.

Kelson Vibber