[Mimedefang] Soliciting opinions on filtering based on bad MX records

Michael Sims michaels at crye-leike.com
Wed Sep 17 11:16:02 EDT 2003

Steffen Kaiser wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Michael Sims wrote:
>
>> (3) If the MX record is a hostname, I retrieve the A records for it.
>> If they don't exist, I return false.  If they do, I test each A
>> record, returning true if any one of the records is "bogus", false
>> otherwise.
>
> To emulate the behaviour of sendmail in case multiple MX records do
> exist, you should verify the "validity" of the retrieved information
> by connecting to the machine. however, this will generate lot of fun,
> if everybody on the net does that.

I didn't bother to post this to the list, but I've taken out the MX-checking
code from my filter.  It just didn't catch enough email (only about 4-5
messages a day) to be worthwhile...

Michael Sims
Project Analyst - Information Technology
Crye-Leike Realtors
Office: (901)758-5648  Pager: (901)769-3722