[Mimedefang] Re: how to undo Verisigns mess

Jeremy Mates jmates at sial.org
Tue Sep 16 10:59:00 EDT 2003

* Joseph Brennan <brennan at columbia.edu>
> I guess we want to know when the hostname in $Sender resolves to
> 64.94.110.11 specifically. Or to 127.0.0.1 and the like. What's an
> efficient way to do it?

Example Perl code can be found for Sendmail::Milter; should not be too
hard to port to MIMEDefang:

ftp://ftp.gamerz.net/pub/mxmilter.pl

The main problem is that Verisign can fiddle with the IP and hostname,
which means manually updating the code examples I have seen thus far.
Hey, lookie, new IP address already:

$ host sitefinder.verisign.com
sitefinder.verisign.com has address 12.158.80.10

Probably best to fix this problem at the DNS or router level (assuming
Verisign will persist in this madness and not undo the damage), though
we may end up with DNS blacklists in no time.