[Mimedefang] Re: Great open letter about anti-virus, emails, bounces, etc.

Michael Sims michaels at crye-leike.com
Mon Sep 15 15:47:00 EDT 2003

mimedefang-admin at lists.roaringpenguin.com wrote:
> It is amazing how much spam stops once you only accept aol.com,
> yahoo.com, etc. mail from hosts which reverse resolve to something in
> those domains. This does require some maintenance, as some places
> outsource some of their mail (e.g. att.com) and sometimes some place
> will switch to a new relay that doesn't have a PTR record in DNS.

I'm curious, since I would love to put something like this into place.  (It
seems that here lately the amount of spam from dial-up/dynamic accounts has
skyrocketed).  In the examples you give (outsourced mail, and relays without
PTR records), how did you know about the problem?  I mean, if you're
rejecting mail on this basis, how did you know that some of it was legit?
Did someone contact you through some other means?

I'm seriously considering setting up a blacklist like this where I can tell
relays with PTR records like...

/ip.*\.suscom\.net/
/pcp.*\.comcast\.net/
/.*ppp.*\.tiscali\.no/
/([0-9]{1,3}-){3}[0-9]{1,3}\..*\.rr.com/
/([0-9]{1,3}-){3}[0-9]{1,3}\.client\.insightBB\.com/
/([0-9]{1,3}-){3}[0-9]{1,3}\.client\.attbi\.com/

...to go away and use their ISP's mail relay to send their mail.  I'm afraid
if I do this that I'll run across some fly-by-night company that's too cheap
to get a decent hosting solution and is trying to run a business off a
residential dynamic connection.  And it'll be my luck that this will be a
client that one of my end users will swear they need to do business with.

I'm thinking about giving them a custom rejection message with a URL
pointing to an explanation and a web form they can use to email postmaster,
but I'm not sure if that'll be enough to keep my superiors off my case if
that ever happens...sigh...

Michael Sims
Project Analyst - Information Technology
Crye-Leike Realtors
Office: (901)758-5648  Pager: (901)769-3722