[Mimedefang] Help with slave died unexpectedly

Kimmo Jaskari kimmo.jaskari at eget.fi
Mon Sep 15 10:25:01 EDT 2003

Hello,

after the rather nasty mail storm left by Sobig, we finally decided that we
needed some form of content filtering for mail. Thus, sendmail, mimedefang
and spamassassin.

I've followed the howto at http://www.rudolphtire.com/mimedefang-howto/ with
the exception of installing only Sendmail, MIMEDefang and SpamAssassin and
not Cyrus etc. This is on a Solaris 8 box with fairly up-to-date patching.

I performed the test for SpamAssassin and it correctly tagged the test spam
mail as spam. Sendmail runs just fine. Milter support is compiled in. I
installed the Perl modules required, including the patched version of
Mime-tools.

Starting Mimedefang with /etc/init.d/mimedefang start works, but pretty
immediately it starts outputting messages on the console port and syslog
saying:

mimedefang-multiplexor: Reap: Idle slave 0 (pid xxxx) exited normally with
status 1 (SLAVE DIED UNEXPECTEDLY)

It then continues to do so at the rate of about one message per second. The
pid gets incremented by one, so it seems to be starting a new slave every
second.

I gather this happens because the multiplexor is trying to start the minium
two slaves I have specified in the config file but something goes wrong. So
what I need now is a tip on how to figure out what the problem may be.

--