[Mimedefang] Re: Great open letter about anti-virus, emails, bounces, etc.

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Sep 11 16:00:01 EDT 2003

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Jeremy Mates wrote:

> there are a number of draft proposals for domains to list the
> only hosts allowed to send outgoing mail. However, these are going to
> take some time to become standards, get rolled out, get rolled out
> without bugs, and become fully supported.

RMX will work effectively only when everyone uses it, unfortunately.
And given the level heat on the IETF ASRG mailing list, I don't see
an Internet standard for this idea any time soon. :-(

Assuming RMX does become widely implemented, viruses will simply
spoof the sender address as <random_user>@legitimate.domain.com
rather than making everything random, or even worse, spoof as "<>".

Greylisting works well against those viruses that implement their own
SMTP engines.  (It fails against viruses that relay through a
legitimate SMTP server.)