[Mimedefang] Two log message questions

McCarthy, Douglas J dmccart at intel.com
Thu Sep 11 09:18:01 EDT 2003

I see that these questions have been asked before, but I didn't see any answers that helped me in the archives, so I am asking again.

Environment:
RedHat Linux 7.3
Sendmail 8.12.9
	MIMEDefang 2.31, running in multiplexor mode
	SpamAssassin 2.50
	/usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/Cwd.pm version 2.04

1) I see this one whenever the multiplexor spawns a new slave:

Sep 10 20:19:16 hermes mimedefang-multiplexor: started; minSlaves=2, maxSlaves=32, maxRequests=500, maxIdleTime=300, busyTimeout=300, clientTimeout=10
Sep 10 20:19:16 hermes mimedefang-multiplexor: Starting slave 0 (pid 3305) (1 running): Bringing slaves up to minSlaves (2)
Sep 10 20:19:16 hermes mimedefang-multiplexor: Slave 0 stderr: Use of uninitialized value in split at /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.1/Cwd.pm line 103.

The Slave number changes, of course, but the warning is the same every time.

The one answer to this which I saw was "make sure $PATH is set in /etc/profile", and it is.  Well, okay, it's set in RedHat's weird "mungepath" way, but the point is that the $PATH environment variable is indeed getting set in /etc/profile.
I am running MIMEDefang as user "defang", which has a shell of /sbin/nologin.  Could this be part of the problem?

2) Occasionally, we get flooded with this kind of error:

Sep 10 23:31:51 hermes mimedefang-multiplexor: Slave 1 stderr: Use of uninitialized value in null operation at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Mail/SpamAssassin/BayesStore.pm line 336.

And I mean flooded.  So many of those messages come in that syslog can't keep up.

Any pointers would be appreciated!

--
Doug McCarthy
Sr. Systems Programmer                   And this is artificial moonlight...
douglas.j.mccarthy at intel.com