[Mimedefang] Can I Use Spamassassin Score Instead of MIMEDefang Score?

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Sep 10 17:20:01 EDT 2003

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, cam wrote:

> MD+SA implementation turns off the dnsbl and razor/pyzor checks by
> default. (see $SALocalTestsOnly in the man pages.)  You can enable this
> feature if you wish at the cost of some performance/processing time.  You
> would then more than likely get the same/similar score as the other milter
> based SA implementation.

Actually, not really; look at his message:

http://lists.roaringpenguin.com/pipermail/mimedefang/2003-September/007918.html

MIMEDefang fired these tests:

DATE_IN_FUTURE_03_06   HTML_70_80         HTML_FONT_BIG   HTML_FONT_COLOR_GRAY
HTML_FONT_COLOR_UNSAFE HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_02 HTML_MESSAGE MIME_HTML_ONLY
MISSING_MIMEOLE        MISSING_OUTLOOK_NAME

The other milter fired these:

DATE_IN_FUTURE_03_06   HTML_20_30         HTML_FONT_BIG   HTML_FONT_COLOR_GRAY
HTML_FONT_COLOR_UNSAFE HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_10 HTML_MESSAGE
MISSING_MIMEOLE        MISSING_OUTLOOK_NAME

The two milters are obviously seeing slightly different versions of
the message.  In my experience, SpamAssassin is *very* sensitive to
small changes in the message, and the rules that get fired can change
dramatically for only small changes.  I expect one milter is seeing
additional headers or something similar.