[Mimedefang] MimeDefang and RedHat Enterprise Edition->friction or harmony?

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Wed Sep 10 10:13:01 EDT 2003

I installed RedHat Enterprise Linux ES2.1 (should be similar to AS)
a couple of months ago.  We run Sendmail 8.12 with MimeDefang,
SpamAssassin and McAfee.  It works really great, apart from a
snag with delays in McAfee scanning, see the thread at
http://lists.roaringpenguin.com/pipermail/mimedefang/2003-September/007892.html

One thing you must do is to build a Sendmail 8.12 RPM yourself,
since RedHat Enterprise Linux comes with Sendmail 8.11.
I simply took the latest source-RPM from Redhat 9 and
rebuilt it.  For what it's worth, here are some of my notes:

1. Make sure that the imap-2001a and imap-devel-2001a RPMs
    have been installed, and that these services are enabled
    under xinetd (chkconfig --list): imap, imaps, ipop3, pop3s.

2. Download the latest Sendmail SOURCE RPM for Redhat (Redhat 9's
    sendmail-8.12.8-5.90.src.rpm) and install it.
    In order to enable the MILTER mail-filters at the Redhat 7.2 level,
    we must update the patch file sendmail-8.11.0-redhat.patch
    in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES by adding these words to the
    +define(`confENVDEF',... line:
       -DMILTER -D_FFR_MILTER_ROOT_UNSAFE

3. In /usr/src/redhat/SPECS you edit the file sendmail.spec
    and change line 5 into:
       %define errata 72
    Build the binary and source RPMs with this command:
       rpmbuild -ba sendmail.spec
    The resulting RPM files will be below the /usr/src/redhat directory.
    Install all of the RPMs in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386.

4. Look at the instructions in the Mimedefang HowTo,
      http://www.rudolphtire.com/mimedefang-howto/

Murat Isik wrote:
> 	I have been administering RedHat Linux 8.0 on our company
> server for a long time. On the curent system with 8.0, we are
> running MimeDefang and McAfee Antivirus.  As of last week, I was
> asked to upgrade our regular pc server system with RedHat Linux
> 8.0 to a HP ProLiant ML350 G3 server with Linux. I have concluded
> that my best opion is to install RedHat Enterprise Linux AS.
>          However what I dont know is how I will have to alter the
> way I handle the system, compared to 8.0. Will there be any
> collisions with our current programs, especially MimeDefang? Is
> administration drasticly different from 8.0 or 9.0 administration?
> Please comment on Enterprise edition, since we have never used it
> before and I could not find too many similar cases on the net.

Ole Holm Nielsen
Department of Physics
Technical University of Denmark