[Mimedefang] uvscan exceedingly slow

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Wed Sep 10 08:35:01 EDT 2003

Our users are complaining that delivering mail is exceedingly slow,
and since we recently introduced the McAfee uvscan virus scanner in
our server, I investigated the overhead of running uvscan on one of
our quarantined message.  The timing of running uvscan from the
command line is pretty appalling:

real    0m13.567s
user    0m0.400s
sys     0m0.080s

Can anyone suggest how to eliminate or minimize this 13-second overhead ?

I read some messages on the list pertaining Redhat 9 optimization,
    http://lists.roaringpenguin.com/pipermail/mimedefang/2003-July/006910.html
but that doesn't pertain to our system, which runs Redhat ES2.1 (similar to
Redhat 7.2).  Perhaps some other compatibility libraries should be used
with uvscan ?

Ole Holm Nielsen
Department of Physics
Technical University of Denmark