[Mimedefang] Weird MimeDefang Loop.

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Tue Sep 9 20:28:00 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 17:57, David F. Skoll wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, Stephen Smoogen wrote:
>
> > They have a similar set up which sent mail back to us because it had
> > over 50 attachments... so-on and so-forth.. we didnt see any problems
> > until we reached 30,000 or so attachments.
>
> This should never happen.  The bounce from MIMEDefang returns a 5xx
> failure code.  The sending relay should compose a message from "<>".  If
> anyone rejects _that_ message, no further bounce messages should get
> generated -- it should go into the bit-bucket.
>
> I strongly suspect a serious misconfiguration on the other end.

It could be, but both they and us were adding little attachments saying:

action_bounce("Message contained too many MIME parts.  We do not accept
such complicated messages.");

The system currently works like this (but hopefully will change to a
better way).

Outbound MailServer -> MailRelay port 25 (TrendMicroViruswall)

TrendMicroVirusWall takes the email and scans the email for viruses and
hands it off to port 2525 where sendmail running mimedefang takes it.

Mimedefang says too many parts. Something adds that as an attachment (I
had guessed it was mimedefang, but it may be TrendMicro Viruswall).

Mail goes to customers Inbound MailServer which tries to deliver the
email again (because the recipient and sender do not exist on that
inbound mailserver.)

Repeat until our server hits 200,000 attachments and I turn off the
max-mime-parts line

At this point I am not sure who has the more misconfigured/brain-damaged
setup.

I am going through the archives as quickly as I can to see if I can get
trophie or a 'better' virus scanning solution in place.

Thanks for the reply David. I sent an email to info at roaring on other
products this afternoon..

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Labrador  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645 (note new #)