[Mimedefang] Weird MimeDefang Loop.

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Tue Sep 9 19:01:03 EDT 2003

We just found an interesting problem caused by a silliness on our part.
I had turned on the limit on the number of attachments without looking
to see what it would do. A partner site seemed to have a similar
layout.. so what was happening was

Email with 50+ attachments (someone mailed a friend a webpage with
images included) is sent from A -> B. B gets the mail via viruschecker
and sees that it has 50+ attachments. Mimedefang seems to add an
attachment saying that we dont accept more than 50 attachments. Mail is
sent back to originater.

They have a similar set up which sent mail back to us because it had
over 50 attachments... so-on and so-forth.. we didnt see any problems
until we reached 30,000 or so attachments.

I consider this my own stupidity here, but I was wondering if an
enhancement would be that we could affect what we do with the number of
mime-attachments in /etc/mail/mimedefang-filter versus editing around
/usr/bin/mimedefang.pl

    if (!defined($entity) && $MaxMIMEParts > 0) {
        # Message is too complex; bounce it
        action_bounce("Message contained too many MIME parts.  We do not
accept such complicated messages.");
        signal_unchanged();
        signal_complete();
        return;
    }

What I would like to do is put in other messages or action_discard, but
I really don't like 'mucking' with the pristine /usr/bin/mimedefang.pl
because I am not sure what I might 'break'.

Now it is probably something that is easily over-ridden but I will admit
that after reading the FAQ I am still pretty clueless.

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Labrador  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645 (note new #)