[Mimedefang] An odd problem (for an odd configuration)

Ron Hall thorn at cc.mcgill.ca
Mon Sep 8 21:01:02 EDT 2003

	Howdy!

	We've and oddish setup for mail delivery, but it does what we
	want so we live with the warts :)

	We have a mailhost layer of three machines (DNS
        round-robinned), that run Trend AV and sendmail 8.12.9 in a
	sandwich configuration. Mail is scanned and handed off to the
	mailhub layer for delivery.

	The mailhub layer consists of two machine (sendmail 8.12.9)
	also dns round-robinned. They send mail off to where it is
	supposed to go. No problems there. Odd configuration of LDAP
	mail routing, virtual users, domain maps and what not. This
	works fine.

	The advent of the virus wars of the last little while have
	cuased a proliferation of virus disinfected messages that
	most people have little tolerance for. As a result we
	thought mimedefang woul;d be a good place to start and remove
	the messages. A filter was concocted and it works.

	Unfortunately when it is working mail get s to the mailhub
	layer and is discarded if it meets the criteria for discard,
	unfortunate;ly during this time the following messages
	are building up in the mailhost layer log files:

	   Sep  8 11:20:35 prion sendmail[18135]: [ID 801593
mail.info] h88ExBH2016783: to=<andrew.hendry at mcgill.ca>,
delay=00:21:24, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, pri=120482,
relay=localhost, dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: Connection reset by
localhost
Sep  8 11:20:35 prion sendmail[19600]: [ID 801593 mail.info]
h88F1TH2017122: to=<ingraham at library.mcgill.ca>, delay=00:19:05,
xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=relay, pri=300370, relay=localhost, dsn=4.0.0,
stat=Deferred: Connection reset by localhost

	Any ideas on what part of the mimedefang config
	on the mailhub layer needs to be 'tweaked'?

	I start off with 8 with a maximum of 20, processing 200
	before they die off.

	HTH

	As Always