[Mimedefang] multiple CPUs, multiple milters!

Anne Bennett anne at encs.concordia.ca
Mon Sep 8 14:53:00 EDT 2003

David F. Skoll explains:

> Under Linux, each milter thread shows up with its own process ID.  This
> behavior is different from most other UNIXes, such as Solaris or
> Tru64.  It's perfectly normal

That's a relief; thanks.

> (if you consider Linux "normal", of course. :-) )

I think I won't touch that one with a ten-foot pole.  ;-)

I'll experiment with how to shutdown the processes.  The supplied init
script shuts down only the one whose PID is in the pidfile.  Since one
invocation starts four threads, should one kill stop all four threads
(code change, threads, yikes, beyond me at he moment)?  If not, I'll
just change the init script to find the rest of them (script change;
no problem!), and supply the change if you like...

Anne.
--
Ms. Anne Bennett, Senior Sysadmin, ENCS, Concordia University, Montreal H3G 1M8
anne at encs.concordia.ca                                    +1 514 848-2424 x2285