[Mimedefang] SoBig makes me rethink policy...

Kelson Vibber kelson at speed.net
Thu Sep 4 19:34:01 EDT 2003

At 03:50 PM 9/4/2003, Ben Kamen wrote:
>Heck, if I remember right.... when MS Exchange  gets a rejected message,
>it just tells the user, "Can't deliver email" or something.. instead of
>"5.7.1 blah blah blah fix your damn DNS blah blah blah"...

Some of our customers run Exchange internally, and occasionally I have to
troubleshoot bounces it reports as "User unknown," but that on
investigation turn out to have started as "Mailbox over quota" or "No mail
accepted from known open relays."

That's what ticks me off the most: these versions (I really ought to ask
when this happens, and make a list) not only discard the informative error
message, but they actually replace it with something inaccurate, making it
*harder* to track down the problem than if it simply said, "Can't deliver
email."

Kelson Vibber