[Mimedefang] mimedefang.pl logging to wrong facility

Jon R. Kibler Jon.Kibler at aset.com
Wed Sep 3 21:52:01 EDT 2003

Greetings MD Experts:

Running Solaris 9, mimedefang 2.36, sendmail 8.12.9...

Been trying to kill off the 'filter actions' message generated by mimedefang.pl (about line 1471) and it has been driving me nuts. I have finally been able to demonstrate the mimedefang.pl is logging to the wrong syslogd facility is why I am having problems. I have mimedefang setup to use local7 as the syslog facility.

In syslog.conf, I have:
mail.debug	/var/log/syslog
local7.info	/var/log/syslog

Yet I keep getting the mimedefang.pl DEBUG level messages being written to /var/log/syslog. I was beginning to suspect that for some reason mimedefang was using the wrong facility.

First, I dumped the actual arguments passed to mimedefang and md-multiplexer using 'parg' and it shows where local7 was chosen:
> 23470:  /usr/local/bin/mimedefang -P /var/spool/MIMEDefang/run/mimedefang.pid -m /var/s
> argv[0]: /usr/local/bin/mimedefang
> argv[1]: -P
> argv[2]: /var/spool/MIMEDefang/run/mimedefang.pid
> argv[3]: -m
> argv[4]: /var/spool/MIMEDefang/run/mimedefang-multiplexor.sock
> argv[5]: -X
> argv[6]: -U
> argv[7]: defang
> argv[8]: -S
> argv[9]: local7
> argv[10]: -p
> argv[11]: /var/spool/MIMEDefang/run/mimedefang.sock
>

> 23457:  /usr/local/bin/mimedefang-multiplexor -p /var/spool/MIMEDefang/run/mimedefang-m
> argv[0]: /usr/local/bin/mimedefang-multiplexor
> argv[1]: -p
> argv[2]: /var/spool/MIMEDefang/run/mimedefang-multiplexor.pid
> argv[3]: -S
> argv[4]: local7
> argv[5]: -m
> argv[6]: 4
> argv[7]: -x
> argv[8]: 20
> argv[9]: -L
> argv[10]: 300
> argv[11]: -U
> argv[12]: defang
> argv[13]: -i
> argv[14]: 300
> argv[15]: -b
> argv[16]: 600
> argv[17]: -w
> argv[18]: 3
> argv[19]: -R
> argv[20]: 10000
> argv[21]: -M
> argv[22]: 30000
> argv[23]: -l
> argv[24]: -t
> argv[25]: /var/log/mimedefang/stats
> argv[26]: -s
> argv[27]: /var/spool/MIMEDefang/run/mimedefang-multiplexor.sock

I then stopped syslogd and started it in debug mode. Debug mode clearly showed that mimedefang was logging to the 'mail' facility and NOT to the 'local7' facility. Thus, the source of my grief! BUT WHY??? and how do I fix it???

Also, two final points:
	1) I have installed the Perl module Unix-Syslog v 0.100.
	2) I have not made any code changes anywhere, except to mod the standard actions in mimedefang-filter (but nothing custom there either).

Any ideas what is going on here and how to fix it?

TIA for all help!

Jon R. Kibler
A.S.E.T., Inc.
Charleston, SC  USA