[Mimedefang] sobig virus slipping by mcafee.

Lucas Albers admin at cs.montana.edu
Tue Sep 2 18:19:22 EDT 2003

sobig virus's slippint by uvscan.
I run 4 virus scanners, uvscan,filescan,fprot,clamscan.
In that order.

I have noticed that approximatelly 1/2 the time the sobig virus is
slipping by uvscan and filescan and then gets detected by fprot.
I have the most recent dats, and filescan will sometimes detect the virus.
I will be saving the rejected email and try and determine why it is
slipping by the scanner is some cases.

Has anyone else encountered this same problem?

I have been saving the messages, and when I run mcafee with the same
command line switches on the quarantine directory it does not detect
sobig.f.
F-Prot detects the virus on incoming mail, and when I run it against the
directory.

Not sure why the virus is slipping by mcafee, but it is...

If you want to look at the message you can download it from:
http://www.cs.montana.edu/support/mimedefang/PART.1.BODY.gz

--Luke