[Mimedefang] defang DB

Du Plooy, Ernst ernst at tfs.ac.za
Mon Sep 1 04:24:01 EDT 2003

Maybe this is off topic, but is might be interesting for some wanting to
use a database as a backend for MD.

I've done speed analysis on MySQL, PostgreSQL and SQLite using DBI
without transactions.  Because all user settings etc. are encapsulated
into the database a lot of queries are made for every email.  All
headers are also inserted into the database.

Currently I get 13% more mail throughput from MySQL than PostgreSQL.
SQLite gives the same throughput as MySQL -- But I haven't done any
speed tweaking on SQLite (yet...)

Please note that these results are specific to my filter and I only
changed the DB connection string for the different DB tests.

Just a word of warning. Check out MySQL licensing before using.

>Anyone have a filter that stores header information in a DB for
reporting >and statistics that they would like to share?