[Mimedefang] Upgrade MD 2.27 -> 2.38, no longer getting admin. messages

Brent J. Nordquist b-nordquist at bethel.edu
Fri Oct 31 11:20:14 EST 2003

My environment:  Two test machines running Red Hat 8.0 and Red Hat
sendmail 8.12.8 RPM w/security patches.  Until today both were running
MIMEDefang 2.27 and SpamAssassin 2.43 -- now I've upgraded one of them to
MIMEDefang 2.38 and SpamAssassin 2.60.  I have a "test suite" of messages
including known viruses, spam, illegal characters, etc. that I test with.

Everything is working great, with one exception:  The MD 2.27 box sends
notification to the administrator when it quarantines things, but the
other box doesn't any more, since the upgrade to MD 2.38.

After searching the list archives, my questions:

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Tony Nugent <tony at linuxworks.com.au> wrote:

> On Mon Jan 27 2003 at 16:02, Rick Knight wrote:
>
> > I set the filter to quarantine infected files, but I get no
> > notification of the quarantine. If I look at /var/log/maillog, I can
> > see that things are being placed in quarantine. Have I missed another
> > setting?
>
> You can specifically call action_notify_administrator($msg) in your
> filter, although action_quarantine($entity,$msg) is supposed to do that
> anyway.  Same for action_quarantine_entire_message($msg) if $msg is not
> null.

I have scoured the MIMEDefang code, and I cannot figure out the magic that
makes the above happen!  My mimedefang-filter is pretty close to the one
in the tarball (examples/suggested-minimum-filter-for-windows-clients),
and it has only one call to action_notify_administrator() (relating to
multipart messages).  I get administrator notifications for viruses etc.
on the old MD 2.27 and I can't see where action_notify_administrator()
gets called from to make that happen.

> Also, with sendmail 8.12.x make sure you have a client-queue runner
> happening, these messages are posted in deferred mode so you won't
> see them until the next mail queue run.

I checked both queues to make sure nothing is stuck, and it's not.  I have
compared the /var/log/maillog of both boxes, and you can see clearly no
admin. email is being sent on the new one (the old one has entries for an
email from "defang at localhost" that are missing in the new).

Any help in understanding how this works in MD 2.27, that might lead me to
figure out why it's not working any more on MD 2.38, would be greatly
appreciated!  Thanks.

--
Brent J. Nordquist <b-nordquist at bethel.edu> N0BJN
Other contact information: http://kepler.acns.bethel.edu/~bjn/contact.html