[Mimedefang] filter_multipart stripping forwarded messages from KMail

Kelson Vibber kelson at speed.net
Wed Oct 29 12:25:17 EST 2003

At 04:42 PM 10/28/2003, Kenneth Porter wrote:
>Given the vulnerability of our favorite broken email client, I'd say the right
>fix here is to change KMail's behavior. Otherwise the next virus writer can
>just spoof a KMail message hoping to sneak a .com file past a lenient filter.

So you're saying that Outlook will prefer Content-Description over
Content-Disposition/filename and Content-Type/name?

If that's the case, then absolutely, no change should be made to
re_match.  On the other hand, if Content-Description is only a backup in
the event that no filename is defined elsewhere, then it ought to be as
safe as having the phrase format.exe appear in the body of the message - as
long as a filename is defined in one of those accepted fields.

I'm not suggesting that re_match should never check Content-Description, or
that it should skip it if it finds signs of KMail in the headers.  I'm
suggesting that - assuming no client (or at least no highly-used, extremely
vulnerable client) will use Content-Description for the filename if one of
the other two fields is defined - re_match should only check it if those
two fields are blank, invalid, or not present.

Keep in mind that this behavior is not something that can currently be
changed in KMail's settings.  The workaround has to be done for each
attachment.  To change the default description or make it configurable, a
patch or bug report will have to be submitted and accepted.  And getting it
accepted assumes that the KDE folks interpret this as a KMail bug and not a
MIMEDefang bug.

Kelson Vibber