[Mimedefang] Re: Spammers who won't take no for an answer

Jonas Eckerman jonas_lists at frukt.org
Fri Oct 24 19:34:19 EDT 2003

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 09:54:53 -0700, Jeremy Mates wrote:

> > Only problem I see with this is that the spammer might start
> > pestering secondary MX servers instead.

> Spammers are already known to target the secondary MX servers.

That's true. But sending over spammers that behaves in a way that can
kill a slow server (hundreds of retries with sometimes less than a
second between them) to secondary servers is rather different from
the spammers a secondary server has to deal with currently.

Also, it doesn't really do any good to simply firewall them unless
secondary serv ers also does this. The abusive apps are just abusing
another server, when what we want is for them to not create any extra
load at all.

> from certain IP addresses. I use spamd on OpenBSD, via an IP
> address table in PostgreSQL populated on my primary e-mail server
> and pushed over to the firewall as needed.

I gues I'll want to check out spamd. I'm currently running the mail
gateway on FreeBSD behind an OpenBSD firewall.

Thanks for the pointer.

Regards
/Jonas

Jonas Eckerman, jonas_lists at frukt.org