[Mimedefang] Stream by recipient/domain

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Oct 24 09:46:32 EDT 2003

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Jonas Eckerman wrote:

> Does this mean they are resent with SMTP to sendmail or that they are
> resent internally to other MIMEDefang slaves?

Read the source...

> Expressed differently: Does MIMEDefang wait for the results of the
> resends (wich would put higher demans on the system) or does it just
> resend them and finish?

It sends them by invoking Sendmail in "deferred delivery" mode and
finishes.  If they are later rejected, your server generates and sends
a bounce message.  This is a disadvantage.  However, there is no other
way to do it -- read the SMTP RFC.  At the end of the DATA phase,
there is simply no way to say "success for recipients A, B and C, but
failure for recipients D, E and F."

If MIMEDefang tried resending in "real time", a mail message to many
recipients would quickly kill your server as one slave was activated for
*each* recipient.

(I know this, because MIMEDefang used to work that way, and it killed
our server. :-))