[Mimedefang] Re: DSN

Jim McCullars jim at info.uah.edu
Thu Oct 23 22:46:03 EDT 2003

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Paul Russell wrote:

> RFC 2821 *REQUIRES* the use of the null envelope sender address on delivery
> error messages.

   I'm fully aware of that, I'm just pointing out some of the reasons why
adding a "return receipt requested" might not actually get delivery
confirmation.

   I see this all the time at my site - user foo at rfc-ignorantdomain.com
sends a UAH user email with return receipt requested.  Campus user sends
it back (with the null envelope sender).  Foo's mail gateway rejects it,
ostensibly as an anti-spam mechanism.  So guess who eats the reject.  Me.

Jim