[Mimedefang] DSN

Jim McCullars jim at info.uah.edu
Thu Oct 23 14:50:25 EDT 2003

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, JR wrote:

> Is there a way to have mimedefang ask for a delivery receipt on all e-mails
> sent?

   In filter_end, you could do this:

	action_add_header("Return-Receipt-To", "$Sender");

but I would recommend against it.  For one thing, getting the notification
back is basically under the control of the recipient (and his mail
client).  His email client may or may not recognize the header, and the
user may elect not to send back the return receipt (whenever my MUA asks
this, I always click "Never").

   Furthermore, the return receipt is generally sent using a null envelope
sender (looks like this: <>).  Some sites now refuse email with a null
envelope sender, and if your site does, you will never get the return
receipts back.  Also, the recipient's email server may refuse the null
envelope sender, so he may be unable to send the confirmation even if he
wants to.  For example, I use BellSouth DSL at home, and they will not let
me send an email with a sender of "<>".  So if I try to send a return
receipt, I get a relay error.

   HTH...

Jim