[Mimedefang] Graphdefang logging user_unknown on FreeBSD

Lee Dilkie lee at dilkie.com
Wed Oct 22 07:19:58 EDT 2003

Having just spent the better part of the week to get graphdefang working
properly on freebsd 4.9, let me share my solution. (mind you, learning perl
was what I spent a lot of that time on).

skipping all the things I tried and didn't get results with.

check out the FAQ at http://www.bl.org/~jpk/graphdefang/faq.html and look at
item 5 and 3.

It suggests you install berkeleyDB from the sleepycat distribution. The
instructions are a tad wrong but they will get the database stuff working
properly. The steps I followed were (spelled out in detail for those like me
who had a bit of trouble with the skipped steps).

{download db-4.1.25.NC.tar.gz from the sleepycat site)
> tar -xvzf db-4.1.25.NC.tar.gz
> cd db-4.1.25.NC/dist
> ./configure
> make
> make install
note that the install puts the output in /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.1 where the
"usual" place (and if you have this port installed already) would be
/usr/local/lib (/include...)
also note. the library is named libdb-4.1.so whereas the ports version of
the lib is libdb41.so and i have no idea if that is significient or not. I
symlinked the directory as described in the FAQ.
> ln -s /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.1 /usr/local/BerkeleyDB
> cd ../perl/DB_File
> perl Makefile.PL
> make (this picks up the includes and libs from /usr/local/BerkeleyDB)
> make test
oops, that fails.. looks like it's trying to load libdb-4.1.so and can't
find it at run time. Now, forgive my lack of knowing how to add a new lib
path to freebsd so i just symlinked the following. Note that the ports
version of DB is still in place.
> ln -s /usr/local/BerkeleyDB/lib/libdb-4.1.so /usr/local/lib/libdb-4.1.so
> ln -s /usr/local/BerkeleyDB/lib/libdb-4.so /usr/local/lib/libdb-4.so
then
> make test (succeeds)
> make install

and bingo, my graphs are working correctly.

Now. Some unanswered questions.

I tried reinstalling from the ports version (which is totally the same code,
btw). I did the perl/DB_File thing, the "make test" worked fine and all but
*it didn't run properly* for some reason and that is disturbing. My graphs
would keep getting truncated, like they "lost" historical data. Perhaps i
should raise a problem report with freebsd, if I knew how to do that?

hope this helps,

-lee