[Mimedefang] Unknown User: '@DEFANGUSER@'

ipetts ipetts at ozemail.com.au
Wed Oct 22 00:49:34 EDT 2003

I am a new user, trying to install mimedefang 2.38 on a RedHat 9.0 box. I have
been following the instructions at 'The MIMEDefang HOWTO' page and believe I
have got MD installed _almost_ correctly :-)  [That is, I had no errors building
or installing it].

When I try to start MD however, I get the error:
/usr/local/bin/mimedefang-multiplexor: Unknown user: '@DEFANGUSER@'

To my non-programmer eyes it looks to me like there is a macro, DEFANGUSER, that
is supposed to expand to 'defang' by default, but for some reason this does not
appear to have happened on my box.

I also tried explicitly configuring with --with-user=defang but still get the
same error.

The RedHat box is pretty stripped down; I've only installed RPMs that I know I
need. Perhaps I've left off something that is required for the expansion of this
variable?

Oh, and yes, 'sed' is installed and PATHed :-)

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Ian.