[Mimedefang] Spammers who won't take no for an answer

Kelson Vibber kelson at speed.net
Tue Oct 21 12:30:25 EDT 2003

At 06:48 PM 10/20/2003, Daniel Kasak wrote:
>What would be great is if you could integrate the excellent tool 'smbdie'
>into mimedefang / canit, and blue-screen the computers of repeat offenders.

This reminds me of an idea I had a while back to use samba and Windows
messaging to notify the senders of viruses (since you can do this with just
the IP address, which is the only thing you really know reliably when
someone sends you a virus).  I eventually decided it wouldn't actually
reach enough of the senders to do much good, and would probably end up
flooding any uninfected Exchange servers that were being used as relays by
infected machines.

And after seeing some infected hosts try to send us a new copy of Sobig
every 5 minutes - literally - it seems to me that such a system would have
to be smart enough to limit the number of of notices it sends.  It's even
harder to clean out your computer with a stack of 50 pop-up messages
waiting for you to click OK.

Kelson Vibber