[Mimedefang] Strange duplicate mail

Jonas Eckerman jonas_lists at frukt.org
Sat Oct 18 13:41:43 EDT 2003

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 17:07:20 -0500, James Miller wrote:

> After the '<enter> . <enter>' it's taking 60-70 seconds to accept
> the message.

That seems rather slow for a short test message. Is the server low on
CPU or RAM?

> message.  I think some of the servers sending us mail are closing
> the connection before we acknowledge receipt -- and later resends

If you know wich servers does this, you might want to send the owners
a mail pointing out that while STD0010/RFC0821 doesn't say anything
about time-outs, RFC2821 does specify that the time-out for DATA
termination SHOULD be 10 minutes.

> I haven't found a way (if there is) to tell mimedefang not start
> processing a message until after it's been completely received.

Isn't that what mimedefang normally does (unless you use filter_relay
etc)? When the "." terminating the DATA is received (meaning, the
message is completely received), mimedefang processes it before
sendmail replies with the result of the DATA.

If you want the server to not only receive the message but also reply
to the sender before processing, that's different. If that's not what
you want, disregard my comments below.

You'd have to change where sendmail calls mimedefang. Now I don't
know enough about sendmail and milter so I don't know of you can tell
mimedefang to hook into sendmail just before sendmail queues the
message but after it has sent it's reply for DATA. A quick look in
the libmilter docs makes me think that there's only one hook called
after a complete message is received, and my guess is that that's the
hook mimedefang allready uses.

You could use two mailservers. One that simply receives, without
processing and then relays everything to a second server wich uses
mimedefang (and you should be able to put both thsoe servers in the
same machine, though you might have to fiddle a bit for that). You'll
loose the ability to reject SPAM directly during the SMTP session
with the server sending it to you though.

Regards
/Jonas

Jonas Eckerman, jonas_lists at frukt.org
http://www.fsdb.org/