[Mimedefang] cound not create directory /var/mdefang-nnnnnnnn-0

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Sat Oct 18 10:08:24 EDT 2003

Guy,

Beyond missing a step, it sounds like this is a mimedefang compilation
issue.  My best recommendation is to try nuking your source dir (just for
safety), re-untar and try the configure again/make/make install.  Perhaps
you ran the config first and it cached something is my thought.

I believe you can double check after running the configure again by looking
in config.status  and search for the line:

s%@SPOOLDIR@%/var/spool/MIMEDefang%g

Regards,
KAM

> I have installed MIMEDefang according to the INSTALL etc. (well, I think
so, anyway) and am getting the usual 451 4.7.1 error.  I see from
/var/spool/maillog that the problem is apparently:

> Oct 17 23:24:12 <hostname> mimedefang[2811]: h9HMNnfU002810: Could not
create directory /var/mdefang-3F906C0C-0: Permission
> denied
>
> Not a surprise, obviously, as it's trying to use /var instead of
/var/spool/MIMEDefang - and of course if I open the permissions on /var then
sendmail will bleat.

> I ran configure with options as follows:

/configure --sysconfdir=/etc --with-confsubdir=mail --with-spooldir=/var/spo
ol/MIMEDefang --with-quarantinedir=/var/spool/MD-Quarantine --with-user=defa
ng

> all of which are as per the instructions (from peregrinehw.com).
>
> I have reviewed /etc/init.d/mimedefang etc., and the spool dir would
appear to be correct there (/var/spool/MIMEDefang).  The .sock and .pid
files are created in /var/spool/MIMEDefang/ as expected, except for
mimedefang-multiplexor.pid which is missing (if it should exist).  Is that
right?

> I am sure this setting is in one of the configuration files somewhere, but
I can't seem to find which one.  What can I say?  It's late and I'm new to
this stuff.  Any assistance gratefully received.