[Mimedefang] Rewarding plaintext

Kelson Vibber kelson at speed.net
Thu Oct 16 16:31:13 EDT 2003

At 12:15 PM 10/16/2003, David F. Skoll wrote:
>The analogy is imprecise.  I don't expect e-mail to behave like regular
>mail -- I can't e-mail my sister a present, and I don't expect e-mail to
>take several days to reach the intended recipient

But in the digital realm, it *does* behave much like regular mail does in
the physical realm.  Faster?  Electrons vs. airplanes, trucks and
feet.  Can't send a present?  What if that present is a set of digital
photos, or an e-book?  (Note, I'm not saying it's the best way to send it,
just that it can be done.)

I really think the "mail" metaphor explains why so many people are using
email for things it wasn't designed for - like file transfer.  If you need
to send someone a physical object, you send it by mail.  If you need to
send someone a file, and you don't have your own FTP server or web site,
what do you do?  You can put it on a disk and send that by mail, or you can
send it by e-mail.  It's an obvious choice.  It may not be the best choice,
but it's the first thing most people will think of.

>What I'm saying is that pretty soon, the choice will be plain text or
>nothing at all.
><snip>
>I won't be particularly disturbed when that day arrives.

But a lot of people will be, and there will be a strong drive to come up
with something else.  If we're lucky, it'll be some sort of XHTML-Lite
Email Edition, like Joseph suggested.  If we're not, it'll be Microsoft's
New Proprietary Email Format (TM).

Maybe HTML mail is doomed - if it gets us something new that's open and
serves the same purpose without being vulnerable to the problems full HTML
support has, that's a good thing.  But I can't convince myself the future
of email is 100% plain text, and I can't convince myself that it should
be.  Every time I try, I feel like I'm starting to tell one of those
stories about how I used to walk 30 miles to school, through the snow,
uphill both ways.

Kelson Vibber