[Mimedefang] Rewarding plaintext

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Oct 16 13:24:40 EDT 2003

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Cormack, Ken wrote:

> Perhaps the solution would be for more and more admins to set their
> originating servers to strip HTML from all OUTBOUND mail.

That's an excellent idea.

I believe that within 3-5 years, many organizations will ban HTML mail
(at least, mail that comes from or goes to external addresses.)

Many organizations already have a blanket prohibition against .exe,
.com, etc.  because of virus risks.

As spam becomes a much larger problem than viruses, organizations will
(re-)discover that HTML provides hundreds of sneaky and ingenious
mechanisms to fool content-scanners.  Eventually, they'll institute a
blanket ban on HTML mail.

Once a large enough percentage of e-mail addresses stop accepting HTML
mail (probably around 10-15%), you'll see its use drop dramatically as
users are forced to deal with the fact that HTML mail delivery is unreliable.

I can dream, anyway. :-)