Somewhat OT: Re: [Mimedefang] graphdefang cores with large amounts of data

Whatley, Lee (CBA) lee at cba.ua.edu
Wed Oct 15 17:30:58 EDT 2003

David F. Skoll wrote:
 > Isn't it standard (prudent) practice to run this kind of logfile analysis
 > on a different machine?

Is it?
Are most people just running a syslog server on another machine, or are
they copying local syslogs to another machine periodically?

The load on my mailserver rarely goes above about 1.3 and usually hovers
around .7 or .8 with only around 200M of memory usage.  The only time it
every takes a serious processing/ram hit is when graphdefang is running.

I don't see why graphdefang should be so resource intensive as to cause
the need to dedicate another machine to it. I don't need to process my
webserver logs on another machine and those files are much bigger than
my mail server logs.  I'm curious as to if the fact that it is a perl
script is causing the overhead.  Does anyone thins a rewrite in C would
help the problem? Someone else mentioned using a relational database to
store the data.  Is that really necessary?

-Lee