[Mimedefang] Validating Exchange addresses

Justin justin at othius.com
Tue Oct 14 18:04:41 EDT 2003

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Geoff Thornton wrote:
> When you bind to the Exchange 5.5 LDAP, authenticate with the suffix
> ",cn=admin".  This will let you query hidden recipients.  It will also
> show you 'deleted' recipients, so I would recommend filtering out those
> entries in your LDAP search...

For those who, like me, weren't sure how to do the bind properly, you need
to pass the -D flag and corresponding argument, like so:

ldapsearch ... -D "cn=MailAdministratorAccount,dc=yourdomain,cn=admin" -w
"accountpassword"

(that line may wrap)

One thing to note, for those of you with large and complex Exchange
organizations with Notes connectors and whatnot, this may not be an option
for you. Maybe it's just because we have fifteen different people from
five different companies administering the organization with no real
oversight, but I get messages with addresses like this:

IMCEANOTES-FirstName+20Lastname_SubDivision_Division+40DIVISION+40GROUP at example.com

... coming over the Internet to my Exchange server. (Yes, I massaged in
pseudonyms for the actual company, group, division, sub-division and
recipient names.)

These types of addresses, while valid, do not show in my LDAP dump.

Again, I don't expect this to be an issue for single site, better
organized or smaller Exchange organizations, but it's something you all
might want to be aware of.

-Justin