[Mimedefang] Validating Exchange addresses

Justin justin at othius.com
Tue Oct 14 14:57:50 EDT 2003

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, David F. Skoll wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, Justin wrote:
> > Querying my Exchange 5.5 box, this misses all of the hidden recipients
> > in the organization. Which I suspect is to be expected, but should be
> > a noted caveat.
>
> I'm going to have to set this up for a customer, so could you explain to
> me what a "hidden recipient" is?

Hidden recipients are mailboxes (or other recipient types) which have been
hidden from the address book. They don't show up in the default view
within Exchange Administrator either.

There may also be certain Exchange internal addresses which are marked
hidden from Information services that don't deliver to any mailbox but are
handled by Exchange for various other purposes. I've seen Exchange do
synchronization updates via SMTP messages as well.

However, Geoff Thornton writes:

  When you bind to the Exchange 5.5 LDAP, authenticate with the suffix
  ",cn=admin".  This will let you query hidden recipients.  It will also
  show you 'deleted' recipients, so I would recommend filtering out those
  entries in your LDAP search...

I haven't had a chance to test this yet, but I have no reason to believe
he's wrong.

-Justin