[Mimedefang] Testing HELO

Mark admin at asarian-host.net
Tue Oct 14 10:01:18 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Brennan" <brennan at columbia.edu>
To: <mimedefang at lists.roaringpenguin.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 3:28 PM
Subject: [Mimedefang] Testing HELO

> I'm testing that when a host says HELO with an IP, that the IP
> is actually that host's IP.

Interesting. :) I have just been experimenting with a Milter that rejects
mail with a HELO greeting of my own IP address! You'd be surprised how much
that happens. Then I bounce em, like so:

"reject=550 5.7.1 You pretended to be me! [218.37.110.11]"

And I feel I can safely reject, as there is never, ever, a legit reason for
a remote server to HELO greet itself with the IP address of my mail server.
Bona fide mail server will never do it; so only spammers are left. It is,
imho, definitely worth a high SA score, at the least.

- Mark