[Mimedefang] per user configuration in MD

Kelsey Cummings kgc at sonic.net
Thu Oct 9 16:41:02 EDT 2003

There's some interesting stuff in the archives but nothing answered my
question well enough or recently enough to satisfy me.

We're in the process of deploying MD on our mail clusters primarily to
provide a reliable milter interface to clamd.  There is obviously
potential for MD to do alot more than this, particularly if we can come up
with a good method of allowing 'per-user' options.  The milter interface
obviously complicates this but it should still be possible.  This is more
or less of a requirement, as some of our users will scream bloody murder if
they can't turn off the filtering.

Obviously the first step is to resolve the aliases/virtuser to 'real' users
(mail forwarded off-net will just get the default filter set) which should
be easy enough by just tying to the sendmail maps.  The next step, which is
also pretty easy is to lookup each users configuration somehow, presumably
out of another database.

The real question comes along with how to get mimedefang to do different
things for each user on a single message with multiple recipients.  Has
anyone else built such a system out of mimedefang?

Mail flow is straight forward:

     MX Cluster     inbound MX handling
         ||         runs custom milter, MD + Clamd
         \/
  Delivery Cluster  procmail, spamassassin

All mail passing through the MX cluster is handled via a virtusertable that
maps to real boxes on the delivery cluster or off-net addressess.

--
Kelsey Cummings - kgc at sonic.net           sonic.net, inc.
System Administrator                      2260 Apollo Way