[Mimedefang] Apostrophes escaped in "To:" address

Patrick Morris pmorris at wilshire.com
Thu Oct 9 15:07:11 EDT 2003

[Apologies if this gets posted twice -- I sent the first one from the
wrong e-mail account and it's currently awaiting a moderator.]

I've got a user complaining that mail sent to addresses like
"Sean.O'Leary at domain.com" are being mangled in transit, and getting
handed off to the recipient as "Sean.O%27Leary at domain.com," and bouncing.

After some log wrangling, it looks like they're coming out of MIMEDefang
that way.  As far as I can tell, apostrophes in mail addresses don't
break any RFCs.  Can anyone recommend anything I can do to make
MIMEDefang leave these addresses alone (or at least re-percent_decode
them on the way out)?