[Mimedefang] mimedefang on Solaris 9, syslog error

Jon R. Kibler Jon.Kibler at aset.com
Thu Oct 9 09:12:00 EDT 2003

"David F. Skoll" wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Henrik Schmiediche wrote:
>
> > Note the error on line 395. This is where mimedefang is trying to write to
> > the log. I do have Unix::Syslog installed (do not know why it is not being
> > used) and Sys::Syslog.
>
> Did you install Unix::Syslog after the first time you built MIMEDefang?
> If so, the config.cache might hold out-of-date data.  Try deleting
> the build directory, unpacking the tar file, and building again.
>
> Regards,
>
> David.

I can say from personal experience that if Unix::Syslog is not properly built and installed, you will get all sorts of weird errors.

Also, another problem I encountered with Solaris 9... The distribution Perl is built with Sun's C compiler. If you use gcc, then you get all sorts of strange interactions that cause all sorts of weird errors. Solution: Go to http://www.sunfreeware.com/ and download the version of Perl built using gcc -- that fixes all sorts of 'unusual' problems.

(You will encounter similar problems of gcc vs Sun's C in other environments too. For example, I had problems with the build of TomCat because Sun's distribution JDK was built using the Sun compiler and there were several things that didn't build right in TomCat until I rebuilt the JDK using gcc.)

Hope this helps!

Jon R. Kibler
A.S.E.T., Inc.
Charleston, SC  USA