[Mimedefang] Sendmail errors and caching DNS

Kai Lanz lanz at pangea.Stanford.EDU
Wed Oct 8 07:28:10 EDT 2003

Hi Rajesh,

Back in July you posted a response to the mailing list with the subject
"[Mimedefang] dsn=4.0.0, stat=I/O error: I/O error" in which you wrote:

> I think I've found the problem.  I run a caching DNS locally on the
> same box, and that seems to be having problems.  Taking it out of
> resolv.conf and using sendmail -v -qf seems to be clearing the queue
> nicely.

We're seeing the same symptoms -- stat=I/O error from sendmail when our
caching nameserver is running.  The errors stop occurring if I go back
to the old remote-nameserver type of DNS.  Did you ever find out what
the problem was?  Is there a fix that will let us run our local,
caching-only DNS and sendmail both, without conflict?

Thanks very much for any help you can offer.

-- Kai