[Mimedefang] some graphs

Cor Bosman cor at xs4all.nl
Tue Oct 7 20:11:02 EDT 2003

Dont know if anyone finds em interesting but here goes anyways.
Ive done some performance testing on MD using a dual 2.5 Ghz, 4GB memory
FreeBSD 4.7 server. Ive taken a regular email flow, pushed em through
MD, took out everything but SA and Sophos virus scanning (I wanted to test SA),
and made sure it didnt add any headers so customers wouldnt ask questions :)
I used an MFS filesystem, sendmail 8.12.10, SA 2.60, latest MD.

Graphs are here: http://www.xs4all.nl/~scorpio/md

First one is Emails/Hour, next is Load, third is CPU.

As you can see, around 12:00 at the beginning I took a tiny mailflow and
added some to it (by diverting emailflow in a loadbalancer).
It's peaking at about 12.000 emails per hour. That's about 3 emails per
second. At that point CPU isnt stressed, load is still below 1, hovering
around 0.6/0.7. The peaks are burst of traffic I havent really checked.
I personally find this an acceptable level with room to spare for
sudden abnormalities.

This adds up to about 170.000 emails per day, with a total amount of
spams with score > 5 at 63000. On 1 server. With room to spare.

I need to be able to handle 2 million emails a day, so I figure im
going to need at least 10 servers. I can probably easily make do with
less, but Sobig & Co have shown us to better be safe than sorry.

Cor