[Mimedefang] Disabling outbound mail filtering?

brian briane at geocel.com
Tue Oct 7 09:57:00 EDT 2003

Hi all,

   Just curious if anyone has yet devised an optimal way to disable
outbound mail filtering with mimedefang and sendmail milters.  As far as I
can tell there's no way to tell sendmail not to milter outgoing mail.  I've
looked for quite a while for a way.

So, basically the options I have that I know about are:

1) set up 2nd mail server that does not have mimedefang installed.
2) Tell mimedefang to "OK" messages originating from the local network as
soon as possible in the mimedefang-filter file.

And that's basically it... without digging into sendmail or mimedefang
source code.

I'm not sure option 2 is enough... we have a job scheduled that sends out a
LARGE amount of outgoing mail in a short period of time (notifications for
our site basically), and this crippled the mail server last night.  10 or
so perl mimedefang processes were spawned, each at 20+ megs a piece,
quickly caused the system to start thrashing as they were mostly loaded
into virtual memory.

Anyone have any pointers?