[Mimedefang] Using SA in defang vs procmailrc...?

Schuyler Bishop defang_list at acuraworld.com
Tue Oct 7 09:15:01 EDT 2003

Hi,

I posted a week or so ago about using action_bounce instead of
quarantining messages with bad extensions.  Through a bit of trial and
mostly error, I got that working.

My new question is regarding the bayesian filters in SA.  When I used SA
standalone through procmail, it used bayes filters in each user's
.spamassassin folder and automatically added anything that was tagged as
spam to the --spam and excluded regular mail through --ham.

Now I believe it does the same, but it's all under the defang user
account.  It makes it difficult - read, impossible - for regular users to
use the bayes filters from mailboxes because it adds the bayes filters to
THEIR .spamassassin instead of the defang user's.

Without hacks, the only way I see to revert to previous behavior of SA is
to only invoke SA through a .procmailrc.

So my question is really - 1) how stupid am I (rhetorical ;) ) 2) which
method is a better use of the bayes filters and maybe 3) is there a better
way to do it?

I realize this is somewhat of a "religious" question but all technical
answers are appreciated.  :)

--Schuyler