[Mimedefang] timeout issue

Kelson Vibber kelson at speed.net
Fri Oct 3 12:25:02 EDT 2003

At 07:05 AM 10/3/2003, Cor Bosman wrote:
>30!! seconds later the email is finally delivered. Somehow between
>sendmail<->MD the mail gets stuck waiting for some timeout. I also often
>see smaller values than 30 seconds.

Hmm.. 30 seconds is the default DNS timeout, and dead blacklists tend to
cause problems.  Are you using the monkeys.com blacklist, or perhaps
osirusoft?  (If you're using a version of SpamAssassin older than 2.60, you
need to disable several blacklists that have folded).  If this turns out to
be SpamAssassin related, you can work around it by setting rbl_timeout to a
smaller number of seconds in your SA config.

HOWEVER, since you say this only happens on some messages, and only *after*
SpamAssassin has been called and filter_end is finished, I suspect the
problem is actually on the other end.  In other words, the server you're
sending to is trying to look something up, and holding the connection open
while it looks it up.  Do you have a reverse DNS entry for your server's IP
address?  That's one possibility.  Another, of course, is that *they* might
be checking a dead blacklist.

Kelson Vibber