[Mimedefang] InpuMailFilter requires milter support

Nicholas Kirlew nkirlew at ntoec.nt.edu.au
Fri Oct 3 03:05:07 EDT 2003

Hello All,
I am one of those newbie lost souls wandering around with redhat 9 issue of
sendmail upgraded to 10.12.8 and a milter that don't.
Recently our correspondence high school launched a sendmail server, 90
clients, which solved nearly all the problems with Email we were having. Now
we would like to boilerplate dept of ed disclaimer (no choice. but could be
done at client I know, I just thought it would be neat ...). MIMEDefang is
the solution I would like to impliment so as to be able to pick up on
features progressivly.

I have spent a few days on it and over the last 8 hours arrive back at the
same point: The /var/log/messages advises that:
Milter requires Milter support (-DMILTER). and others related.

I think I know this means that sendmail does not have the correct support
aka site.config.m4

I think I have found most of the little pebbles placed in the road by
sendmail realiging file locations, the location of m4 appears to be
critical.

I have read many archive emails on the topic, the originators are so happy
they never actually record what they did to fix the problem.
I have discovered a few layers

1) the sendmail build - very important to use sh Build install -c at the
sendmail binary stage
while using this switch creates a slower compile (rebuilding all) I still
think this is where I think I am stuffing up, I don't reckon the support is
getting into the binary

2) the sendmail.mc  to sendmail.cf operation. I spent a couple of days
running m4 at the terminal, so bringing in the wrong macro set, now I run
/usr/src/sendmail/sendmail-8.12.10/cf/m4 and I can view a cluster of Milter
options and the inputmailfilters=mimedefang in the /etc/mail/sednamail.cf.
Also I see this listed in the top.

3) I have done the 50 page Mickey Hill Howto a few times and I have start
and stop nested inside the init.d/sendmail so I think they are up and
running. What the Howto does not refer to and I have seen elsewhere is that
the mail has to be sent to the milter first and then onto the sendmail
spool, the idea seems to be that mail hits milter, gets done over and then
hits MTA, and that I need to set that up.

I have looked through a couple of months of this mailing list archive and I
see some very patient responses for others who have the same problem. Any
links or tips gratefully rec.
-
Regards,
Nick Kirlew