[Mimedefang] Multiple SpamAssassinReport.txt parts

Romain Kang romain at kzsu.stanford.edu
Thu Oct 2 21:45:01 EDT 2003

Greetings,

Some of the email I administer goes through several layers of
sendmail processing; i.e.:
    sendmail (+mimedefang (+SpamAssassin)) ->
	procmail -> sendmail (+mimedefang (+SpamAssassin)) ->
	(etc.)
	    final delivery

As a result, when SA identifies a message as spam, some addressees
get 2 or even more parts that are versions of SpamAssassinReport.txt.
This has a way of escalating the spam scores on subsequent passes
through mimedefang, and in some cases the SpamAssassin content
preview shows the beginning of a SpamAssassinReport.txt that my
server has added...

So the thought occurs to me that I could poke through the HEADERS
file to see if SA has already left a positive spam match in the
headers.  If so, skip running the SA analysis additional times.
Before I open HEADERS myself, is there some place in the MIME
object hierarchy that I look?

(Ultimately, I'd like to get rid of the multi-layer scheme, but I
think I'll need to implement per-user spam preference handling
somewhere because of different requirements for mission-critical
vs. general communications of some addresses.  But I need to learn
more before attempting this.)

Thanks,
Romain Kang                             Disclaimer: I speak for myself alone,
romain at kzsu.stanford.edu                except when indicated otherwise.