[Mimedefang] pre install question

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Thu Oct 2 18:29:07 EDT 2003

--On Thursday, October 02, 2003 3:49 PM -0500 Raymond Norton <admin at lctn.org>
wrote:

> I have been wanting to implement mimedefang for quite a while. Now with the
> deluge of spam we are getting I need to get it up and running yesterday. I
> am going to do a new install of Redhat 9.0. Since I have the luxury of
> starting from scratch I would like to be sure I install exactly what I need
> to support mimedefang. I am planning on installing everything recommended
> from the mimedefang-howto doc. Outside of not installing sendmail from the
> redhat rpm, what else should I be sure to include or exclude that would make
> the install easier.

First, use the sendmail that you have. The RPM's starting with RH8 come with
milter enabled. And if you happened to have an older Red Hat (like me), you
can download the latest SRPM from Rawhide, tweak the SPEC file and add milter
to the build file and make a custom RPM having milter.

You'll want to get the latest SpamAssassin from the SA website. Get the
tarball, run "rpmbuild -ta xxxx.tar.gz" (subsituting appropriate filename) and
you now have an RPM tuned to your system for SA.

Sign up with Red Hat Network to get access to their update service, or use
Ximian's Red Carpet (free) and use that to keep your system updated with the
latest security patches (RPM's).

Note that if you put anything on your system that's not in an RPM, up2date
won't know about it and will happily overwrite it the next time that package
has a security issue.