[Mimedefang] Validating Exchange addresses (was: calling action_bounce() for viruses)

Geoff Thornton gthornton at networksgroup.com
Thu Oct 2 14:32:00 EDT 2003

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, Kenneth Porter wrote:

> Instead of making this part of MD, how about packaging it as a separate
> process with a cache? This could be generally useful for a variety of mail
> server configurations, not just those that use MD.

I'm not quite sure if I follow you... are you suggesting running this code
as a daemon process?  You would still need to add code to MIMEDefang to
perform the lookups to the daemon.  The only advantage I could see would
be a potential caching of some information, but I'm not sure that would be
justifiable.  Our site doesn't get a whole lot of mail a day (approx. 1500),
and I've not seen any noticable performance impact yet using
per-recipient LDAP lookups.

The one alternative I _HAD_ considered was to integrate this system
within an OpenLDAP server.  The front-end would be sendmail-access compatable,
and the backend would lookup and cache the request to a Microsoft Exchange
/ Active Directory LDAP interface.  In my opinion, that would be the most
interoperable and useful feature to everyone.  However, I doubt I would
have much time to work on such a project, at least in the short-term.

Just my $.02...

--Geoff Thornton
NetWorks Group