[Mimedefang] Cross-Post about SA Rule RCVD_IN_DYNABLOCK returning false positives

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Wed Oct 1 10:50:01 EDT 2003

John,

One of the reasons I love SpamAssassin is that it really boils down to a
fabulous scoring system.  While each individual test may not be perfect, the
combination of all the tests produces one of the lowest false positives
rates possible.  If a test comes along that can determine SPAM/HAM with
greater veracity, it can simply be added to the scoring system and weighted
accordingly.

Additionally, there is a lot of science of running the combined weights of
the scoring system against corpuses of known ham and known spam to compare
these type of things.

However, your question regarding what Dynablock does in SpamAssassin is it
simply implements an RBL.  So an email comes in and SpamAssassin submits a
request to Dynablock regarding that emails specifics and receives a yes or
no.  Dynablocks policy and what that RBL does would be a question for them,
NOT mimedefang or spamassassin.

Largely their reason to exist is to block dial-up IP addresses.  I don't
believe this needs any flushing per se.  They simply try and maintain
accurate lists of dial-up IPs.  However, again, ask them.

Finally, the default weight as of 2.60 SpamAssassin for this test is 2.6 (no
correlation).  You might find that your SA works better by weighting this
rule lower by adding score RCVD_IN_DYNABLOCK 1.3 in your configuration.

You might find that RBLs in general are too risky for you and you might want
to petition for a configuration like ALL_RBL_TESTS 0.50 for a weight change
to all of them.  We achieve this in a way by typically raising the default
SPAM threshold to 7.

Regards,
KAM