[Mimedefang] delete spam based on score

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Tue Nov 25 10:05:06 EST 2003

> What is wrong with bouncing viruses? Most modern viruses run their own
> SMTP engines, which merely ignore the bounce.
>
> If a legitimate mail server is trying to deliver an infected email, I
> want them to know that it was bounced and why. If they then have to deal
> with undeliverable bounce messages, etc, then they may start thinking
> about filtering what their server accepts in the first place.

Bounces for viruses should not be sent.  They rarely achieve the goal of
fixing the problem as with too many viruses, they go to an innocent
bystander.  As with David, I've seen hundreds of thousands of emails of this
type sent to single users, etc. overloading their mailboxes, servers, etc.

If you insist on doing bounces, I would recommend a DB_File tie system to
send ONE or MAYBE two bounces and that's it.  Or something akin to vacation
where it sends the message once every 24 hours.  Anything more and you are
contributing to the problem and VERY POSSIBLY WHAT THE VIRUS WRITER wanted
to begin with.

Regards,
KAM