[Mimedefang] Can someone explain this?

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Nov 26 17:13:47 EST 2003

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Jon R. Kibler wrote:

> Is the listen backlog an O/S parameter or is is something under
> MIMEDefang's control?

It's under the multiplexor's control; see the man page and the
-I option.

However, it's rarely a good idea to tweak it; if the system is that
busy, accepting more connections might not be a good idea.

> The reason I ask is that the Solaris 9 man page for listen(3socket)
> [Solaris' equivalent to listen(2)] claims that there is no backlog
> limit.

I see that in the man page notes, but it makes no sense to me.
Do they mean there's no limit, or there's no way to change the
built-in limit?